Wednesday, May 26, 2010

matching people talents with right positions?

Taking a few leadership experiences, I've manage couple selection processes trying to get people where they will be performing the best, so at the end of the day, you know how it works, you have some vision of the team, and then look at people who has applied, choose, mix, marge, divide etc. 
But I have never expected to be part of such a process from the other side, being recruited for position you were not applying. I must say it's really fun, and recently I was thinking why you actually tend to choose wrong position/role for yourself?  as usually there are couple reasons why you choose wrong position for yourself: 
1) lack of understanding of the role
2) you don't find role attractive enough (JD, money, benefits, experience etc) 
3) you underestimate your qualities and abilities (basically you don't feel you can even dream about such a role), and I think the last one is the worth, as if there will be no smart recruitment process you may forever stuck into lover level job offers.
This is conclusion which I made generally looking at different people and recruitment processes in different organizations.
now about my case, I was selected as a Vise President Operations, sitting on the transition you get to know more and more about your role in the team and generally how its reflect to external companies roles. 
Couple interesting facts I got to know, usually my role is called COO: Chief Operating Officer and there are couple possible models which define JD of COO:
1) the COO oversees all operational an administrative functions
2) The COO oversees all programs
3) The COO oversees all internal functions
So the case of my position, is 2nd model, which is in contrast with 1st one doesn't have administrative part. Basically looking at how AIESEC operates, addressing main challenges and risks it may face, making our product more competitive in the market, managing key partnerships and a huge part of the time managing a team responsible for each stage of AIESEC experience. 
And here is what I have found out:
"Carrying out this great scope of responsibilities tends to require a very broad skills set. It starts with the basics: great general management, project management, analytical skills. Then there is strategic planning and thinking, managing other to outcomes, guiding people so they take more than they think they can and are successful at reaching their objectives, and being persuasive."
and now goes a question, if I don't have all of those set of qualities, can I still be high performer on my role? and do I really need to be good at all those skills or its more about balance? and can I develop those skills in short or long run? if yes, what should I do?

So, if anyone knows something on this, would be great to rad your comments :0

4 comments:

tetyana MKHL said...

Nice to hear Christian :)

Alexander Zagnibeda said...

Actually, I think you are asking hard question ;)

To become COO person need to have deep understanding of whole business and it's can be long period of his/her life in the compaby.

That why your question "If I don't have such characteristics..." is irrelevant, because If you are standing for COO position You have already gained need XP and developed relevant skills and knowledge ;))

tetyana MKHL said...

thank you zagas,
but If didn't stand but was chosen? is it just my bad self awareness of own abilities?

Alexander Zagnibeda said...

May be you are little bit scared because of you position or task for the next year ;)
And also by these thoughts you are trying to quiet yourself. =))))

I believe, the best way for you is to think about this entire situation as a challenge. Like something that you have to overcome and live through!

And also I believe in you!

Take care and stay tuned!